Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Oh, what's in a name?

"And oh the shame...
He was ashamed!
Thought of changing my name...
Oh, what's in a name?
And I got down hearted!
How did you feel?
Everytime that I...
Pumba, not in front of the kids!"


Finally.

It’s only been, what, 15 months since I decided that I was going to write my own blog? That’s not great so bad.

The crazy thing is that I’ve spent those last 15 months composing blog entries in my head. All. The. Time. The hold up was that I couldn’t think of a name--or at least, not a name that didn’t sound stupid 2 hours later.

Any new parent would tell you that names are CRAZY important, and since I am finally birthing my blog baby, the name had to be just right. Somehow I had to fit my new interests, my old interests, my new career (which has changed 70 times in the 15 months), and all the other gobblity-gunk that I would inevitably decide it was vitally important to share with all my nonexistent followers. It was a lot to fit into less than a tweet.

The other thing is, I found military spouse/gf/finance/groupie bloggers last March and I wanted to join that group—and/or somewhat justify my inappropriate blog stalking. But, I’m just a girlfriend at this point. Not that I think that something would go wrong, because I really don’t, but how unfortunate would it be to have to announce that you broke up by asking all 3-10 of your followers to accept your blog’s urgent name change. Although it would be kinda funny to add “THE EX-“ in creepy, scrawled out letters in front of everything that mentions the boyfriend.

So I needed a title sufficiently military themed to be my ticket in, but not so much that I, potentially, put my foot in my mouth later.

 Enter my whilst-washing-dishes idea, “Homefront Entrepreneur.”

“Homefront” for military life, cooking,  home life in general, and my fascination with the local movement (small businesses and locally grown foods). And if I decide to reach back into my mental blog archive, I might even pull out some stuff about my time as a VISTA (fighting poverty through work at a nonprofit and the first hand experience of living at the poverty level).

“Entrepreneur” because I decided about a month ago that I wanted to start my own business. I feel like putting this in the title is going to force some accountability since I can’t blog as an entrepreneur if I’m not, you know, entrepreneur-ing. And I figure all my thoughts, questions, and progress (hopefully!) is going to make up the bulk of my entries.

So there you have it. That’s what’s in a name.

No comments: