Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blog stalking: A confessional

I have to read blogs for work because I am looking for women who are interested in losing weight and have a lot of experiences to share about their efforts. Blogging (and twitter but I haven't even broached that monster) is an easy way to find people who have the experience and are more eager to share.

Anyway, it's really hard to read the blogs. I mean, it's not hard to literally read the blogs because I have a good internet connection and a well lit room, but it's hard to process all the information that they provide and not get caught up in it.

One woman is trying to lose weight while raising two teenagers with different developmental issues, dealing with several chronic diseases of her own, and on a very limited income.  She wasn't the right fit for our product, but I spent an hour reading her blog. Seeing what her life was like and marveling at everything she has accomplished.

Other blogs are challenging because the women hate their bodies so much. Even the ones who've lost tons of weight (over 100 lbs in some cases) are so self-loathing and miserable. And they struggle. How can they not loath their bodies when they feel like they have to outlast the temptation of a single brownie. For this woman, it was an epic struggle of wills to prove herself stronger than a brownie. I love brownies. How do you get to the point where you hate things that give you pleasure because of their calorie count?

It makes you think about how weight and body image can affect someone on so many different levels of their life and self-image. And it makes me question my own body image, the mistaken idea that I've had in my head that I struggle with my weight, and what I'm willing to do and willing to give up for a certain dress size. I'll tell you, I'm not giving up the brownies.


PS. Weirdly,  it also makes me want to eat all the foods that they are struggling against. I can actually pick up someone's craving through their blog. As a result, I've been snacking ALL DAY.

No comments: