Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Quick Update! (I hope)

Oh man, it's been a month already. To be fair, it's been a crazy month---AND I've been mental blogging as usual. I also got a new smartphone and set it up with blogger, so maybe I'll do short updates on that and long entries on the computer when I have more time?

Anyway, a list of what has happened:

1. Decided to come out to CA. The BF and I talked and decided that we wanted to try and make it work in the more normal environment of CA where there was more regular work and I wasn't trapped in Hubert, NC. Yes, it's worse than Jacksonville. We also decided to get a 2-bedroom place and try to be roommates that are dating. That way we'll each have our own space physically and within the relationship. I won't feel obligated to have dinner ready or chores done and he doesn't have to plan around me as much. It's working so far, other than he doesn't have furniture yet so we are still sharing a room.

2.  I heard from my professor! It's working as the Marketing Manager (I made up the title--I guess I could have gone with Marketing Director, but maybe I'll give myself a raise when I am full-time) for a start-up that creates online health products. I love that it's going to let me learn a lot about online marketing before I launch my own company (and also start-ups although his is a lot more techy).

Pros: Very independent work. Trusted. No resume or job application. He totally believes in me and wants to bring me on fulltime when they have the money. It's online marketing which I love and need. It's a paycheck! A small one, but I have income for the first time in a while. And there is a good salary budgeted in the financial plan (for me?!?!!). Next year, I might get to hire people which will make me management within 2 years of for real joining the workforce. It's also mostly telecommuniting so I can work from home.

Cons: It's in Los Angeles which is a little over an hour drive if I do it when there's no traffic (10am to 3pm or 8pm to 5am) but could be 3+ hours in traffic. But I don't have to go in all the time. No guarantee of being fulltime and I don't know what my salary would be if it was. I don't have a car so I borrow Matthew's.

All in all, I'm pretty excited about it. Also because I didn't have to apply to wade through the insane number of applications to try and get a job.

3. We got an apartment! It's two stories with two bedrooms and a full bath on the bottom and a living room, kitchen/dining, and half bath upstairs. That layout seems weird at first, but from the upstairs you get views of the ocean and nice ocean breezes so it's actually better this way. The kitchen is large and kinda has a spanish mission style to it (actually, just big brown titles, but I'm being positive). I'd post pictures but we are still unpacking (week 3, sigh) and the living room has a single chair and then random things we have thrown in because BF is providing the couch etc.

4. BF purchased a giant tv. Normally this would not make into my blog, especially since we don't have a couch to watch the tv from, but it's sitting in the middle of the living room and taking up tons of space, so it's on my mind. It's a Vizio, LED, 55incher with 240 HZ. Apparently those things are supposed to make you jealous. Right now it just makes a giant box with graphics on it.

5. We adopted a puppy! Well, BF adopted a puppy. But ask us who cleaned up the poop, urine, vomit, and took her to the vet... Anyway, her name is Almondine and she's a husky/German Shepherd mix, but definitely small sized. Normally I love her, like when she was so sweet and affectionate at the vet's, but yesterday she was a pill. She still needs training and I get so exhausted telling her no all the time, but then I laid down to take a nap and she crawled on me to get into bed (a no-no but I was too worn out to enforce the rule). She curled up on the pillow next to me and kept watch while I tried to sleep. Then when BF left this morning to go to work, she jumped right up into the bed and took a nap while I slept. Sometimes, she's precious. I'll post photos from my phone in a sec.

6. I am currently one week into the Couch to 5k program. Supposed to do week 2, day 1 today, so wish me luck! Also, does anyone know of a 5k in the SoCal area around mid May?

7. We went out for St. Patrick's Day and I got to meet other couples and socialize. No telling if there will be lifelong friendships, but they're nice, with the 2/4 too, and in the area. That counts for a lot after my time in NC.

8. I'm still wanting to work on my business but with trying to get into the habit of working from home for //MY JOB!//, getting the apartment set up still (can I please get a desk???), and now being on doggie daycare duty, it hasn't been much of a priority. But I'm getting more motivated in general (see #6) and am hopeful that I'll start working it into my daily schedule soon.

So that's pretty much it. I'm trying to work, which is challenging after not working for so long--my days lack built in structure. I'm loving San Clemente. Even when I don't have the car, there is plenty to walk to through the main shopping area and I can go walk/jog around the beach. The stores and restaurants are mostly local and there's a farmer's market. Base seems pretty well set-up, although since I'm just a GF and not a wife, I don't get to do much there on my own. I am going to a USMC workshop in a few weeks to meet other "Magnificent Babes" (the boys are the Magnificent Bastards), which might mean more friends.

I'm really glad that I did end up coming out and joining the BF. We're in a great place now and both just much happier with our lives outside of the relationship as well. Work, friends, apartment, less stress, a puppy to cuddle, and a loving BF who rescued me from doggie duty yesterday when I was about to lose my mind. Love it. Send it. 

No comments: