Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Speaking of Harry Potter

Okay, I'm silly but the last post was too long already and I needed to break it up, so I'm just going to throw this in separately.

I got the BF hooked on Harry Potter. He had never read the books but had seen some of the movies. When the first half of the 7th movie came out, we decided to watch all the previous movies to help him get up to speed. Well, as all HP fans can attest, you can't get that big a dose of the Harry without consequences and his, and mine, were that he wanted to know more and more of what the books were like. This usually took the form of asking me to compare in detail the books and the movies and to give clues as to what the future holds for our young heroes. It was annoying-ish.

So I told him he had to read the books. We went to the library and signed up just to get their Harry Potter books and in the month plus that we had them, he didn't even finish the first one. BF was devastated. How could we go on our roadtrip without Harry Potter!?!

Especially since I had bargained with him to hand over my share of the driving if I read him Harry Potter on a previous trip. He'd be damned if he didn't get the same deal again this time. I, however, was looking forward to sleeping on said roadtrip and that is difficult to do while reading outloud. Plus, for some reason my Hagrid is some sort of Irish/Australian accent and that's just embarrassing.  So I looked into books on tape ($30 ea.) and kindle editions (nonexistent) and I found nothing that would help.

But I'm a good, maybe even great and self-sacrificing, girlfriend and I went to the used bookstore in Jacksonville (I was as surprised as you are that such things exist) and bought the 1-4 paperback book set. So I spent the entire trip trying to dodge his 10-15 minute cyclic requests for "Harry Potttter!!" Yes, every single time he was driving, the first thing he asked for was me to read Harry Potter to him. My options were read or drive. So I read. And we finally, after one month and one week and 30+ hours in the car, finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I can only imagine the insatiable craving he had while driving by himself to AZ with no Harry Potter.

No comments: