Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

No paycheck next week?

I'm not proud of it, and I definitely never thought that I would say this in my lifetime, but my BF is supporting me financially. I feel like such a gold digger, but since I put my career on hold and moved around the country with him, this is my transition back to paychecks period. It's rough, but I have a part-time job and I'm doing it.

Anyway, my few hundred dollars covers 21.5% of the rent, but I need it for food, gas, student loan payments, etc. So he's paying for our expenses as a unit.

And now the government is going to stop paying him.  Okay, that's a little sensationalized, but really, we're going to miss a week's pay in the next paycheck--maybe more if Congress can't work out a budget. The week is okay for us, we've got savings, but what about all the people who live paycheck to paycheck? The couples that you see at the Commissary filling two carts until they spill over, every payday. What are THEY going to do?

And what about BAH? Our finances definitely count on BAH continuing so we can cover our rent/utilities (can you tell that I think about rent a lot?). No mention in the articles about anything other than pay being effected, but surely "monetary benefits" are too?

This is my most ridiculous, self-ish thought, but if they aren't getting paid, why are they still required to show up to work? I mean, if you aren't going to pay the BF, at least let him stay home and hang out with me! Before anyone says anything, I know that there are greater needs here than my own and the entire military can't take a holiday over something like funding (but if they did, I bet that would get the Dems and the GOP hopping). Especially the troops in the sandbox because wars don't stop to get resupplied. At least not anymore.

Anyway, I'm a tad bit worried about the possible shutdown. Are you?

No comments: